Plumb University is an opportunity for parents to come and learn about strategies and programs that can help them understand the inner workings of the school, and aid in the success of their children. Parents can select 1, 2, or 3 different sessions. The sessions run from 5:30-6:00pm, 6:05-6:35pm, and 6:40-7:10pm. Workshop topics change from time to time. Some of the topics offered in the past have been:
· Make And Take/Volunteer Art: Audience = K-5th Parents and Students
A craft opportunity for the students, and Parents are encourage to ask questions about the Art Program and the Classes we offer. Examples of student art projects are also on display for the parents to enjoy.
· Fitness: “Fitnessgram”: Audience = K-5th Parents and Students
Parents view a CD on the “Fitnessgram” presentation and have a chance to participate in the various “Fitnessgram” tests.
· Music Technology: Audience = K-5th Parents and Students
Designed to familiarize parents with information on websites that will inspire students in the arts. In addition, it also familiarizes parents with our online courses set up in Focus.
· Using Games to Promote Speech and Language: Audience =Pre K-5th Parents Only
Parents are given ideas to help their children be organized for school and develop good study skills. Tips for parents are provided to balance working together and independence for their children.
· English as a Second Language: Audience = K-5th ESOL Parents
Homework and reading tips – Upcoming Events – English Language Proficiency Assessment – “Immigrant Resources” and “Community Resource Guide for Refugee Families” are only a few of the topics covered in this workshop.
· Coach O’s Eat this Not That: Audience = K-5th Parents and Students
PowerPoint presentation describing healthier food choices, eating out tips, and providing some healthy recipes for comfort foods. Parents and Students are also given the opportunity to play the “Eat This Not That” game.
· Growing a Healthy Child: Audience = K-5th Parents Only
This workshop provides nutritional resources for parents to help kids and their families stay healthy. Information on the importance of breakfast, tips for packing healthy lunches and snacks, portion distortion, MyPlate and other interactive tools. A PowerPoint presentation, handouts, and group discussions are enjoyed by all.
· Educational Activities: Audience = PreK-5th Students OnlyActivities for school age children are provided so parents can attend Workshop sessions and/or teacher conferences.